Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Review: Cafe Fiorello

Antipasto Bar at Cafe Fiorello
Where: Upper West Side, 1900 Broadway btwn. 63rd & 64th streets
When: After picking up my new iphone (note: Go to Apple Manhasset where they feed you ice cream while you wait)
What: Italian Cuisine
The Verdict:
 

Outdoor seating with open windows at Cafe Fiorello

I will preface this review with the fact that I am an Italian cuisine fanatic so I am pretty picky when it comes to my risotto. So far I am working my way around the city to find the best Italian restaurant and decided to come here after hearing really good reviews.


The outside seating was surprisingly empty when we got closer towards the entrance. It was sunny out and not too hot but perhaps there was maintenance with the sign since a man was on a ladder fidgeting with the "c" for cafe. When we were seated our hostess was very friendly. I am a stickler for service and always notice a hostess who can keep up the banter. However, when we met our waitress...well let's just say that is part of the reason they did not get a 7/7 rating. I understand everyone has a bad day but when other staff seem to avoid you as if everyday is your "bad day", theres a problem there.

Our first order was up in about 25 minutes which was frustrating being that we were one of the only people there. Perhaps this was another case of our "bad day" waitress and not the kitchen itself. My friend and I split the goat cheese bruschetta which is a must have appetizer. Clearly the ingredients are fresh and the goat cheese gives everything a nice texture.What I appreciate most is when Italian restaurants stay true and use Roma tomatoes a.k.a. Italian plum tomatoes for their meatiness.

Fried calamari pizza
Next came our entrees of spaghetti Siciliana and fried calamari pizza. My spaghetti came with seared tuna, olives, peppers, eggplant, capers, fresh basil and arugula to top it off. I have never been a big tuna fan but the promise of eggplant and capers tempted me to try it out. The tuna which I think was well done was a little tough for my liking but after so much steak eating (medium only, please) I can't complain. Everything had a nice balance and once again I could tell these were not just day old cut up vegetables.

My friend and I split her entree of the fried calamari pizza. Besides the awkwardly placed lump of calamari on the center of the pizza it was a solid choice. I am a die-hard neighborhood style thin crust guy but I could get used to brick oven thin crust if served like this. There pizza choices had a good range from sweet & spicy fennel pizza to shrimp, lobster and crab meat pizza.

We finished with a chocolate mousse. I have never been big on fluffy, air-like dessert (who has?) but this was done pretty well. Then again, I have never heard of people messing up mousse. It is served as a share size so don't let your mind take on a challenge your stomach can't handle. Overall, this was great food and maybe just an off night for service. Fresh ingredients, well prepared food, modern design and great atmosphere means I am definitely coming back for a pie.

0 comments:

Contact Us:

212-202-0721 | FroggrNY@gmail.com

Follow us @FroggrNY




Talk to Us:

We like to hear from our readers. Feel free to email comments, suggestions and/or even tips. This will help ensure that we continue to provide you with a better Froggr experience. Thanks again for your support.

About This Blog


As a full-time graduate student, real estate agent, and competitive boxer, I saw the need for a blog detailing experiences in different neighborhoods across New York City. A New York resident, born and raised I recently sought out to explore NYC and document what stood out to me in each and every featured neighborhood, including that ever so important residence in which you lay your head. Follow me and you just might find out some very helpful information. Stay Tuned.




© 2010 Froggr. New York ℠

All rights reserved.

Froggr. New York™ est 2010

Back to TOP